Schools of Choice
The Collaborative Schools of Choice Program is a plan that offers parents and students a choice to attend other public schools in the Muskegon Area Intermediate School District outside their district of residence.
The Schools of Choice application process operates according to established guidelines, which are:
- The Muskegon Area ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice Program is designed to provide academic options for students.
- The number of choice students enrolled is determined by the space available in the receiving district. If application requests exceed space available, a random draw will be used.
- All transfers will take place at the beginning of the school year. No mid-year transfers will be approved. All non-resident students are expected to attend their schools of choice for the entire year.
- The receiving district has the right to refuse students who have been suspended, expelled or have excessive absences.
Graduation/Promotion Requirements and Curriculum/Class Scheduling
- Parents, guardians and students participating in the Choice Program for the first time are required to meet with a building administrator or counselor prior to the start of school.
- Choice students must meet graduation, promotion, curriculum and credit requirements of the choice district in which they enroll.
- Parents and guardians are responsible for transporting choice students to and from their choice school.
- Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) rules and regulations apply to all students participating in interscholastic athletics.
- Under the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) transfer policy, high school students who transfer by choice from one school to another will not be eligible to participate in interscholastic athletics for one full semester.
Application Procedures for the Muskegon Area ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice Program
- Application for transfer may be requested at the resident or choice school district's central office between the 2nd Monday in April and the Friday before Memorial Day.
- Return the completed form to the choice district by the Friday before Memorial Day, at 4:00 p.m.
- There is no guarantee that space will be available in the building selected.
- Parents will be notified of acceptance by the choice district by July 1.
- Parents will notify both the choice district and the resident district of their decision to enroll in the choice district by the 2nd Monday in July.
If you have any questions about the Muskegon Area ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice Program, please contact your resident or choice district or call Barb Irey at (231) 767-7201.
Collaborative schools of choice plan
our mission statement
To provide the leadership, programs and services which complement and enhance the efforts of constituent school districts in extending educational opportunities to all studentsJohn Severson
Associate Superintendent for Administrative Services
Phone:(231) email@example.comRandy Lindquist
Associate Superintendent for Academic Services
630 Harvey Street
Muskegon, MI 49442
Fax: (231) 773-1028